- Download on mobile: This option sends an SMS to your phone like http://store.ovi.mobi/content/187328?intc=sms. If you open this link on your phone, it first checks that the Nokia OVI Store app is on your phone, and then runs the OVI Store app, allowing you to download the requested app.
- Download on PC: If your phone is connected to Nokia OVI Suite (not Nokia PC Suite) via a USB cable, this option will download the requested app and prompt you to begin the installation.
The problem with option #1 (Download on mobile) is the two-part process required to install the app. The issue with option #2 (Download on PC) is that it requires your phone to be connected via USB to the PC and Nokia OVI Suite running. There is a much simpler way to download and install apps from the OVI Store onto your phone. It involves using Nokia Drop which you must first install using either option #1 or #2 described above.
Until recently, Nokia Drop v1.3 was in beta and only available for download from Nokia Beta Labs. Once Nokia Drop is installed, run the app and select Connect under Options. Then, disconnect your phone’s USB cable and using OVI Store on your PC, select another application to download via option #1 (Download on mobile). The app is “pushed” to your phone and the installation begins immediately.
Nokia Drop is a simple and easy way to push content to your phone from public websites. Nokia Drop uses Push Notifications, so no USB cable or Bluetooth connection is needed to your PC, only an Internet connection via 3G or WiFi. In fact, with Nokia Drop you can:
- Change your phone’s wallpaper,
- Send an image to your phone,
- Send a public URL to your phone browser (i.e. Nokia Browser or Opera Mobile),
- Send map views or selected locations from maps.nokia.com to your phone’s Nokia Maps client, and
- Send feeds to Nokia Reader or to a native browser web feed.
To push images and URL’s from the PC’s web browser to your phone, you first need to install Nokia Drop extensions for either Firefox (versions 3.6, 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0 supported) or Chrome (latest stable only).
TIP: There is another way to download OVI Store apps your PC! First sign into OVI Store, find the app you wish to download (e.g. http://store.ovi.com/content/187328 for Nokia Drop), then add /download to the URL: http://store.ovi.com/content/187328/download
The Nokia Drop application NokiaDrop_installer_S3_v1_340072.3.0_nokia.sis is then downloaded to your PC and can then be installed using Nokia OVI Suite or Nokia PC Suite via a USB cable or Bluetooth connection. This is handy if you wish to keep a particular version of the application for re-installation at a later stage.